(If you have any good pix PLEASE email them… mine are lame)
Thanks so much for all of you who showed up to my latest FlashDance! (Saturday 9/30/06)
I think it was around 120 people dancing at its peak. There were many great moments but one of my favorites was a woman coming up to me and explaining that she and her friends meant to go to the Opera but decided that our FlashDance was more fun! Alix Rosenthal, the best candidate for District 8 Supervisor came by too which was cool. I didn’t recharge my battery after Burning Man & thus the power died, but it was just as we hit the planned shutdown time anyway…..
A Few Random Thoughts & Questions:
- Here’s the playlist from FD4 as an iTunes iMix…. there is also the text version below if you just wanna read it.
Should I buy a bigger sound system? & would people want to OPTIONALLY chip in a buck or 2 to make it happen?
I think my wee borrowed (thanks Paul!) P-150 is fine,Â Â but maybe I should get a slightly bigger model?Â There are tradeoffs – I don’t want anything I can’t haul on my bike & the bigger the system the more power it will draw.Â My battery is probably good for 3.5 hours as is (assuming I recharge between uses unlike this time 🙂 ), so a slightly larger system should be fine….
- I’m much happier about the music this time – I played a wider range of stuff without resorting to all-standards-all-the-time.Â My apologies for some of the requests I didn’t get to.Â I need some way of getting requests from folks via email, but I don’t want people to be upset if I don’t choose their stuff.Â There is some balance between being trusted to pick good music that has broad and deep appeal and also getting good input from the peoples….. A couple of people requested a little more trance/techno – so I’d like some good suggestions, but please understand that I’m all about the funk.
- SFist.com interviewed me about flashdances – check it out & leave a comment if you like!
- You know I like DJing parties right?Â They need to be reasonably sized of course….
- Speaking of candidates, you may not know that I’m involved in a lot of local politics in SF (SF Bike Coalition Board of Directors, SF League of Conservation Voters President, & Better Valencia Project co-founder) – so if you want to hear my opinions on all the local candidates and races that i send out to my friends, just let me know & I’ll send you my list close to election time….
- I’m going to make a sign or two & cards to hand out to folks – does anyone wanna make a logo?Â For signs, I’m going to use those little yellow sandwich-board type signs that people put up when they are mopping floors – they often have a breakdancing stick figure on them (or falling if you’re a pessimist like that)
Thank you all for validating my need to play Hall & Oates 🙂
- Knock On Wood – Amii Stewart
- Rock Your Body – Justin Timberlake
- Excellent – Blackalicious
- Right Here’s the Spot – Basement Jaxx & Me’Shell NdegÃ©ocello
- Random – Lady Sovereign
- Beat It – Michael Jackson
- I’m Wondering – Stevie Wonder
- Will It Go Round in Circles – Billy Preston
- We Don’t Stop – Michael Franti & Spearhead
- Love Rollercoaster – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- SexyBack – Justin Timberlake
- You Make My Dreams – Hall & Oates
- Official Chemical – Dub Pistols
- Girls & Boys – Prince
- Now That We Found Love – Heavy D & The Boyz
- September – Earth, Wind & Fire
- Let’s Dance (ft. Busta Rhymes) – Brand Nubian
- Benny Got Back – Tripp
- Sexual Revolution – Macy Gray
- Dancing With Myself – Billy Idol
- ‘Bout Action (Featuring Lyrics Born, Lateef, Vursatyl, And The Gift Of Gab) – Lyrics Born
- The Rockafeller Skank – Fatboy Slim
- Pop Muzik (Deep Edit) – U2
- Die Another Day (Radio Edit) – Madonna
- Dance To The Music – Sly & The Family Stone
- Crazy in Love – BeyoncÃ©
- LoveStoned / I Think She Knows Interlude – Justin Timberlake
- Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) – The Jacksons
- Love Me Right – Goapele
We happened to be here during your flashmob flashdance on 11/19/06. It was my daughter’s 16th b-day celebration – (weekend shopping trip in SF with best friends.) Everyone sang HappyBday to her.. (Jocelyn – It was the Perfect icing on a perfect day! She’s a city girl stuck in the suburbs..) I have some pix & video If you want to post it.