…wherein I briefly recount the initially ill-fated but ultimately triumphant FlashDance 21 mini-saga… (.ps If you have any good pics please send them along!)
a brief video, mostly involving sparkly, purple, pants
(click here for an iPhone-friendly version)
Saturday 8 PM: I showed up (remarkably promptly) at Church and Market & set up. A small crowd of FlashDancers was already there waiting!
8:15 PM: After playing 1 song, a (remarkably nice) police officer showed up & explained that she already had a noise complaint & we had to go. Boooo! She suggested Dolores Park.
8:30 PM: Set up at Dolores Park – many folks walked on over from Church and Market (maybe 100 peeps) and we were good to go – or so we thought. There was another, smaller dance party going on nearer to the houses on Dolores – but it was clearly ending.
8:45 PM: 3 songs in and people were grooving, but Park Rangers showed up (I have NEVER seen Park Rangers in Dolores Park before!) They said that their supervisor called to say there had been complaints. (I’ll bet that the complaints were probably about the other party.) They agreed to not give me a ticket if we shut the music down. I was really, really bummed.
8:50 PM: Honestly, I was ready to give up but various dancers said “Let’s just go to 24th Street BART Station” – I agreed.
9PM – 11:30PM: We had one HELL of a FLASHDANCE!!!! It was awesome! BIG BIG thanks to everyone who came out for any of the various stops and BIGGER thanks to those who convinced me to stick with it. I had SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!
A couple of lessons:
- FDs are RIDICULOUSLY FUN. Seriously, I’ve been so worried about getting shut-down & potentially having to scrap FD, I had almost forgotten. One of the reasons I didn’t get a May one together was that I was just worried about another cop-episode shattering my enthusiasm. I had just gotten over it by the time I scheduled June’s, but honestly, I’ve been feeling a bit precarious. Well, now I remember why this is all sooooo worth it. SO. MUCH. FUN. Thanks to everyone who pushed me into a better attitude.
- YOU MUST MUST GET ON MY SMS/TWITTER UPDATES. My messages weren’t as clear as they should have been, but many people figured out what I meant and showed up at Dolores Park & then 24th St BART. I’ll be clearer next time, but you really NEED to sign up for SMS messages! Click here & scroll down to the section about SMS updates for instructions.
- 24th St BART Rocks! The cops came by at least 3 or 4 times while we were there, but didn’t say anything. Lesson Learned. I think i may do the next one at 16th St 🙂 Or Civic Center…..
Again – thank you ALL for such a fun night. Between that and Sunday Streets in the Mission the next morning, I’m still glowing!.
As a final note – here is the play list (more or less) from FD 21. I’m really happy with the mix. As always I’m always looking for more stuff to play – lemme know what you think….
- Flash – Queen
- Breakin’ Dishes – Rihanna
- Lovely One – The Jacksons
- A Love Bizarre – Sheila E.
- Soy Callejero (Mark Pistel Remix) – Los Mocosos
- Livin’ la Vida Loca – Ricky Martin
- Blame It On the Boogie – The Jacksons
- Poker Face – Lady GaGa
- Kids – MGMT
- Dime Que Te QuÃ©a – Gecko Turner
- Tabba – DJ APS Feat. Mohammed Siddiq & Ranjit Kaur
- Bachna Ae Haseeno Revisited – Vishal-Shekhar, Sumeet Kumar, Vishal Dadlani & Kishore Kumar
- Be Easy (Koi Naa) – Nivla Feat. P. Oberoi
- Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) – BeyoncÃ©
- Stayin’ Alive – Bee Gees
- American Boy (feat. Kanye West) – Estelle
- Day ‘n’ Nite (Crookers Remix) – Kid Cudi
- N.A.S.A. Music (LA Riots Remix) – N.A.S.A.
- Lady Marmalade – Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya & P!nk
- Boyz – M.I.A.
- The Seed (2.0) – The Roots & Cody Chestnutt
- I Like To Move It (Racoon Remix) – Sacha Ben Cohen
- SOS – Rihanna
- Can You Feel It – The Jacksons
- Don’t Stop Believin’ In Planet Rock (Journey vs. Afrika Bambaataa) – A plus D
- Upside Down – Diana Ross
- Sexual Healing – Max-A-Million
- Rock With You – Michael Jackson